Saturday, January 24, 2009

Importance of effective communication

Effective communication skills are valuable tools especially in situations where there are constant needs for interactions. Being tactful and mindful of our speech, we can avoid unnecessary misunderstanding with other individuals. As active listeners, we are more likely to understand the needs of the other party. Thus, these skills enable good relationships to be fostered and maintained.

In project work where teamwork and cooperation are key ingredients to success, effective communication skills act as catalyst to hasten the process. This is because ideas and suggestions can be shared quickly among group members, enabling the group to come to an agreement quickly. In addition, instructions can be disseminated accurately between the leader and the members. These factors allow the project to be completed hastily. The importance of these skills can also be utilized in other activities. For instance, in team sports events like soccer, swift “communication” between players is one of the crucial factors for a victory. However, the hastening effect of effective communication skills is applicable only if each of the team members is cooperative enough to contribute his or her parts. I remembered doing a project for a module titled “Remote sensing” with a fyp(final year project) history student. He did not complete the part that he was assigned to do. Instead, he just kept on assuring me and my friend that he would complete his part and always stressed that he was bogged down with his fyp. In the end, I and my friend had to help him to complete his part.

Besides, effective Communication skills are essential during travelling. Wandering in foreign places where we hardly speak or understand the local language, non-verbal communication skills such as hand signs may be helpful when we want to clear our doubts or ask for directions. In addition, as we are aware of the local customs and practice, we are less likely to do actions that offend them. I do feel that effective communication skills are important during travelling. During my secondary school geography trip to New Zealand, I encountered an embarrassing situation. I was unaware that the mode of greeting by the Maoris is by the rubbing of noses. Thus, I was momentarily stunned when a maori warrior came really close to me. In the end, he had to press my head so as to commence the nose rubbing action. On another trip to a small town in Austria, I had a difficult time communicating with locals. This is because the majority of the dwellers are elderly who speak only German. Fortunately, I am able to ask for directions by showing them a tourist map, the name of the place of attraction and also by using basic hand signs for going “straight”, “left” or “right”.

Lastly, effective communication skills are lifesaving tools in situations of emergency. For example, if we discover a bomb in a bus, the damages are reduced if we can convey what we discover quickly to the police.

7 comments:

  1. Terry,

    This is a good general response to question about the importance of effective communication skills.

    You mention some very relevant communication situations: team work situations, such as in playing sports, and traveling. You also aptly mention emergency situations.

    Have you ever been in these situations? What was your experience? How might your need for such skills have been demonstrated?

    I ask these questions because the assignment specifically requests you to think about effective communication and its importance for YOU. Of course, you do generalize on the topic, but some statement or two on your own needs would have been good.

    Thanks for your effort!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot for the comment!

    I do feel that effective communication skills are important during travelling. During my secondary school geography trip to New Zealand, I encountered an embarrassing situation. I was unaware that the mode of greeting by the Maoris is by the rubbing of noses. Thus, I was momentarily stunned when a maori warrior came really close to me. In the end, he had to press my head so as to commence the nose rubbing action. On another trip to a small town in Austria, I had a difficult time communicating with locals. This is because the majority of the dwellers are elderly who speak only German. Fortunately, I am able to ask for directions by showing them a tourist map, the name of the place of attraction and also by using basic hand signs for going “straight”, “left” or “right”.

    For project work, I feel that effective communication skills can help to speed up the process if only each of the team members are cooperative enough to contribute their parts. I remembered doing a project for a module titled “Remote sensing” with a fyp(final year project) history student. He did not complete the part that he was assigned to do. Instead, he just kept on assuring me and my friend that he would complete his part and always stressed that he was bogged down with his fyp. In the end, I and my friend had to help him to complete his part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comment you made on my blog. I replied to it, you may go and read it if you like.

    I agree with the content in your post. I would just like to elaborate on your last comment on an emergency situation. Most people can easily inform the police of a bomb but they need to be calm and collected. I don't think this can be trained easily. Some people will always just be more agitated that others.

    Also, just for laughs, in Singapore, I predict nobody will inform the police of the bomb. Considering the number of people who turn a blind eye to passengers who need a seat on public transport, people might not even notice or care enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I put in my last point cos i feel that time is really an important factor in an emergency situation. By giving precise information such as location and number of casualty to the police, appropriate actions can be administered rapidly to salvage the situation. Apart from a rare bombing incident, Emergenies include traffic accidents which happened almost everyday. In fact, i happened to pass by two accidents scenes(in which one was a fatal case) when my dad drove along the 2nd linkway today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is a different kind of communication skill that we use during an emergency and during daily social interaction. The former is a kind of straight forward where in an emergency everyone has the same goal in mind which is to get out of the situation. But the latter is unique every time. Every conversation will be different. The way we express ourselves and the emotions we put in will be different so I think it is actually more complex in that sense. Your post actually made me think of communication in a wider aspect where it is important in emergencies and sports because initially, I was only thinking of communication with the people around me where the use of emotions and body language play a part in making it effective.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was the blogging buddy for Terry, and I think he responsed well to the question, "The importance of effective communication". However, as he commented later, some personal experiences he encountered would have improved the post better.
    As for the question of emergency, I think this is an innate response that you have rather than an effective communication. I mean if you find someone dying, you will not recall what you learnt on how to communicate effectively but instead find means and ways to ensure the person survives. You took the example of the bomb but in my opinion the majority of people will be get panicked rather than communicating effectively with the police.

    ReplyDelete
  7. effective communication is very important in our daily lives so i thhink its ideal to convey infomation in a way that does not offend others

    ReplyDelete