Sunday, April 12, 2009

Reflections!

Through this enriching communication module, I have learned the importance of effective communication. In my first blog post, I mentioned that effective communication skills allow efficient sharing of ideas and thus, hasten the completion of a group project. I manage to see the efficacy of effective communication during the various ES2007s group project meetings. For instance, I find it difficult to truly understand the views of my group members if all of us are talking at the same time. This situation is evident during the several phone conferencing that I had with Dinesh and Terence. Through these meetings, I learn to be an active listener and to evaluate every suggestion given by my group members critically.

This course also provides me a valuable learning experience to practice my presentation and interviewing skills. After going through the mock interview and the group presentation, I realized that I have lot of room for improvement in these aspects. My performance paled in comparison with that of my other course-mates. During both occasions, I felt rather uneasy and nervous speaking to my other course-mates. I definitely need more practice in order to shake off my stage fright and uneasiness during a presentation.

Besides, this module also teaches me how to write a persuasive resume and job application letter. In addition, the preparation of these materials allows me to evaluate my strengths and weaknesses and also enable me to search for a job that I desire. Futhermore, this course provides me a fulfilling blogging experience. Prior to this course, I set up a blog to record my daily experience in Stockholm,Sweden. However, my interest died off after several blog post as I did not receive many comments. I had the impression that my friends back in Singapore were not reading my blog entries. In contrast, for this Es2007s blog, I received a fair amount of constructive feedbacks from Brad and my Blogging group members. This had motivated me to comment regularly on my blogging group members' blog posts.

Lastly, I would like to thank my course tutor, Brad, and my other beloved course-mates who had made this course so interactive, enriching and enlightening to me. All the best to everyone reading this blog post!

7 comments:

  1. Dear Terry,

    I'm glad that you can find so much positive to say about the course. Your post details the areas where you see growth and where you still see a need for improvement, and you do it in an interesting fashion (although I think I wouldn't use the historical present but just the past tense).

    I can say, too, with certainty that your many contributions in class and in the blogging have enriched us as well. I know you felt nervous doing some of the oral presenting, but as far as just making comments in class, you shined. I really appreciate the effort!

    Best wishes for you as you continue on your educational journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Terry,

    Don't give yourself so much pressure when comparing with others! You definitely has your own strengths=) We can work on our strengths and at the same time, try our best to improve on our weaknesses, just have to believe in ourselves!

    Anywhere, thanks for sharing so many things with us on your blogposts too! You have so much to share whenever it comes to overseas exposure and I am always so envious when I see you talking about them with such love..

    All the best Terry^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Brad and ZQ for your comments!

    Brad: Through this course, I feel that I am more comfortable and natural when I am participating in a dialogue such as chatting with others about travelling and my SEP experience. In contrast, when put in a monologue situtation (such as the presentation), I am rather nervous and uptight. Perhaps, I am a person who seek for acknowledgement and interest from others.

    ZQ: Thanks a lot for providing such encouraging advice. I agree I can be too pesstimistic at time! I'm constantly reminding myself of my shortcomings so that I can improve on these negative qualities. Perhaps, I should be stay more positive and believe in my potential.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Terry,

    Late late comment! After reading through all my previous posts' comments, you were truly the one constant patient soul who read my long posts and commented (except Brad, of course). It's really cool having another same year, some same modules life sciences person in class. We know all the inside jokes!

    You got loads of potential as I feel you are very conscientious in your work. Did I not show acknowledgement or interest in your presentation? I apologise! I never knew which look to show to signify approval during a presentation. I shall ask Brad in our last lesson tomorrow!

    Thankfully, in the world of science, I think discussions are usually in dialogue rather than monologues. You are really suited for scientific research!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HEy TErry,

    Well it has been an absolute pleasure being a member of your group. I think you certainly have grown throughout this sememster and the changes are pretty evident. Like I mentioned in another comment, we all have issues which we need to work through and the first and most important step is recognizing and acknowledging that. In view of this, I think you've done a fine job in not only recognizing these areas for improvement but taking steps towards improving yourself as well...

    All the best in your future endeavours.

    Cheerz!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Terry,

    Thank for being a great blogging buddy and pointing out my mistakes all the time. Hope this module will boost your confidence about communicating in the future.

    Best of luck,
    Yuvraj

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for all your great comments and suggestions. I feel really honoured to meet and interact with you all during this enriching module. Anyway, Let's keep in touch via facebook! Hope to see you all in the gathering after examination.

    ReplyDelete